Biryani is a mixed rice dish from the Indian Subcontinent. It is made with spices, rice, lentils, vegetables and meat. Biryani is very popular in many cultures and every culture has its own way of preparing this dish.
Below is my version of an easy vegetable biryani.
- Step 1 – Soak Basmati rice for about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Step 2 – Take a deep bottomed pan. Add 2-3 tbsp of oil/ Ghee, once the oil is hot add the spices : Jeera , 2-3 cardamom , 2-3 cloves, 2 Bay leaves and a cinnamon stick.
- Step 3- Once the spices are mixed add sliced onions and saute them for few minutes on medium flame. Once the onions are slightly brown add 1 tsp of ginger- garlic paste and sliced green chillies and mix well till the raw aroma goes away.
- Step 4- Add tomatoes, green peas, carrots ( veggies of your choice) turmeric powder, salt, chili powder and biryani masala.
- Step 5- Add 1/3 cup of curd, Mint leaves and coriander leaves and mix well.
- Step 6- Once the masala/ gravy comes to a boil, add the cooked basmati rice and top it up with fried onions and biryani masala.
- Garnish with coriander, mint leaves and Ghee.
How to cook the rice :-
Add the soaked rice in a boiling pot with 1 tsp of salt, bay leaves, cloves. Stir it and cook till the rice is 70% cooked. Add the par cooked rice to the pan and cook it in low flame for 10- 15 minutes.
I hope you guys like it. 🙂