Buttermilk is originally the liquid left behind after churning butter out of cream. This drink is mostly made during summers as it is soothing to stomach and skin. The fat content of buttermilk is far lower than that of milk or curd as fat is removed during churning. Buttermilk contains vitamins, potassium, calcium, and traces of phosphorus.
In some countries, such as India, it is a favourite traditional drink during summer as it is soothing to the stomach and alleviates minor stomach upsets. In India, flavoring ingredients such as asafetida, coriander leaves, ginger, curry leaves and sea salt are mixed with buttermilk to enhance its digestion-aiding properties.
Some of the health benefits are:-
- Helps calms the stomach after a spicy meal- Cold buttermilk tends to wash down the spices and calms an irritated stomach lining.
- Adis in digestion- Ginger, pepper and jeera when combined act as an excellent digestive agent. The carminative properties of spices coupled with soothing and refreshing properties of buttermilk improve your digestion.
- Washes down fat- Had a heavy meal? buttermilk is very effective in washing down the fat.
- Tool against dehydration- Packed with electrolytes and lots of water, buttermilk is the best thing you can give your body to fight dehydration during summers.
- Reduces High blood pressure- A study published in the Journal of Nutrition, found that milk fat globule membrane (MFGM) found in buttermilk is rich in unique bioactive protein that has cholesterol-lowering, antiviral, antibacterial, and anticancer properties. In this study, scientists found that drinking buttermilk significantly lowered bloodpressure, if had on a daily basis.
- Half cup curd/ yogurt
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 cup water.
- few ice cubes
- black salt as required
- some coriander/ mint leaves
Note :- pinch of chat masala can also be added ( optional )
Take all the ingredients and add it to the blender, blend well until it becomes frothy
I hope you guys like this read 🙂